Metro Atlanta’s best-kept secret? Not for long. Less than an hour away from Atlanta, Acworth is close enough to be convenient, but feels miles away from fast-paced city life, thanks to its small-town Southern feel and historic 19th-century architecture. Whether you’re planning a weekend of dining and drinking with friends or a getaway with family, here’s how to make the most out of your visit to this charming lakeside city:
- Eat like a local. Acworth’s a small town with a big appetite and a lot of soul. From the famous po’boys at Henry’s Louisiana Grill to the soon-to-be-famous shrimp and grits at 1885 Grill (opening in 2020), there’s something for every kind of foodie here — just make sure you come hungry. Other highlights are Fish Thyme and Pizza By Fuscos.
- Raise a glass. Beer geeks will love the craft suds at Red Top Brewhouse and the hundreds of brews on draft at TapTown’s tasting room, both opening downtown this year. Plus, historic downtown’s open container district means you can grab a cocktail or go-cup of wine to sip while you stroll down Main. Chill like a local and tuck into a booth at the Center Street Tavern.
- Retail therapy. On the hunt for something special, or even just window-shopping? Acworth’s one-of-a-kind boutiques and art galleries make it easy (and fun) to shop local, whether you’re searching for an antique treasure, a vinyl record, or a new outfit. For fresh, locally sourced foods check out the new Picnic Market & Mercantile.
- Play outside. Playgrounds, walking trails, and a whole lot of wide-open greenspace — Acworth has plenty of fun to go around for kids and grown-ups alike. Grab a picnic lunch downtown at Miss L’s and wander over to the newly expanded, 120-acre Logan Farm Park. And with newly opened event centers like the Cowan Historic Mill, plus a calendar chock-full of all-ages community events (like the annual Fourth of July concert and fireworks show), there’s almost always something to celebrate.
- Splash out. You don’t have to drive all the way to the coast for your next beach day. Peaceful, quiet Lake Acworth and its pristine white sand beach is the perfect place for a relaxing afternoon with your family by the water — or on the water, if kayaking and paddle boarding’s more your speed. Looking for more adrenaline? Nearby, Lake Allatoona is a hotspot for power boating, water-skiing and three more pristine swimming beaches at Dallas Landing, Proctors Landing, and Southshore Beach.